Do you know that there will be around 3.22 billion gamers worldwide by 2023?
Yes, the gaming industry has gained such a huge space at the global level and today holds a market value of USD 249.60 billion by 2023.
Do you know what the persuading factor that pushes gaming to such a top height among global consumers? It is nothing but the player engagement characteristics that encourage players to immerse themselves in gaming. This player engagement is made possible by significant game art and design.
This is what this article will talk about, the role of game art and design in player engagement.
Game Art and Design Course at JS Institute of Design:
Before getting to know the role of game art and game design in player engagement, it is time for you to learn about the game art and design course that we offer at our JS Institute of Design.
UG Game Art and Design is an undergraduate course designed with a duration of 4 years to provide complete game art designing education to freshers. This course incorporates game designing knowledge right from the fundamentals to becoming an industry-ready professional.
This course holds a great demand among enthusiastic creative student minds and hence we offer it exclusively at JS Institute of Design.
Eligibility Criteria and Admission Procedure:
The basic eligibility criteria to pursue UG Game Art and Game Design at JS Institute of Design are as follows:
- Candidates should have completed 10+2 or higher at any recognised educational institution.
Admission for Game Art and Design course at JS Institute of Design is provided by conducting a series of tests that includes a creative intelligence test, personal interview and portfolio evaluation to assess the performance of the candidate for providing admission to the course.
Importance of Gaming Industry and Game Design:
The gaming industry has made a significant march forward in recent years with a major market growth thus extending remarkable job opportunities for gaming graduates such as game art illustrator, animator and much more.
Take a look at the gaming industry market growth in this graph.
In the gaming industry, the importance of game design has come to light. Game Design plays a major role in various aspects of gaming which are listed below.
- Player engagement
- Game Play Mechanics
- Storytelling and Illustration
- Aesthetics and Visual Appeal
- Technical Feasibility
- Market Success
Now, let us explore the role of game art and design in player engagement.
Role of Game Art and Design in Player Engagement:
One of the major game designer roles and responsibilities is to develop strong player engagement which is achieved by game art and design which is detailed below.
Concept Art Development:
One of the significant steps that lift the entire gameplay and inculcates strong player engagement is concept art design.
Concept art development plays a crucial role in shaping the visual and thematic aspects of a game, contributing significantly to player engagement.
Concept art development involves:
- Establishing visual identity with consistent art style and theme. This will help players register a gaming identity for player engagement.
- Developing memorable characters with character exploration strategies, exclusive design personalities, etc. This characterisation will create a strong memory in players and instigate their curiosity to play further to unlock new characters.
These concept art practices with game art and design are a sure shot for player engagement.
Visual Aesthetic Development:
Visual Aesthetic Development is another important strategy for player engagement. Game art and design professionals concentrate majorly on visual aesthetic development to ensure player engagement. Creating a compelling and visually appealing game world enhances the overall player experience.
Some of the typical techniques for visual aesthetic development for player engagement are as follows.
- Establishing a consistent and cohesive art style that aligns with the game’s theme and narrative. A unified visual identity contributes to a more immersive and memorable experience.
- Game art and design professionals pay attention to the details in the game world. Well-crafted textures, intricate designs, and polished visuals contribute to a more visually appealing environment.
- Choosing a well-thought-out colour palette will help in player engagement. This will complement the game’s mood and setting. Colors can evoke emotions and guide the player’s feelings and reactions.
Game Play Mechanics Development:
Player engagement is also dependent on principles for creating engaging gameplay. Game art professionals incorporate effective gameplay mechanics for remarkable player experience.
Some of the commonly implemented gameplay mechanics are as follows:
- Implementing reward systems to acknowledge player achievements and progress. Rewards can include points, items, or in-game currency, providing positive reinforcement.
- Designing a progression system with unlockable content such as new levels, characters, abilities, or items. The anticipation of unlocking new content keeps players invested in the game.
- Creating expansive and detailed game worlds that encourage exploration. Hidden treasures, secret passages, and Easter eggs reward players for curiosity and thorough exploration.
- Designing dynamic environments that respond to player actions. Interactive elements, destructible environments, or weather changes add a layer of immersion and engagement.
On the whole, game art and design implement a wide range of strategies and techniques to enhance the player experience which in turn will persuade them for more gaming experience which is a sign of strong player engagement.
As the ultimate agenda behind the gaming industry is to increase player engagement for increased market development, game art and design know the knack for doing it.
As the gaming industry blooms prosperously, the game art and design profession has climbed a strong stand. So it is time for students in this decade to take game art and design courses for a great career.
- What is the role of art in a game?
The major role of art in games is to develop visually appealing game play mechanics and environments that will increase player engagement and experience in a significant way.
- What kind of art is game art?
Game art is majorly visual arts which includes animation and motion design with various dynamic game plans and strategies.
- Why is player engagement important?
Player engagement is highly important for the success of any game as player engagement is the revenue mode of any gaming software.
- What skills are needed for game art?
- Animation skills
- Videography skills
- Illustration and Storytelling
- Which skills is important for game designers?
Technical skills such as animation skills, drawing, photography, programming, etc are important for game designers.